Friday, January 25, 2013

Dress form DIY


I previously mentioned that I was trying my hand at making my own dress form. A good one is pretty spendy, and I don't have that kind of moolah right now. So what better than finding a recipe on Pinterest to make one out of duct tape! My sister came over to visit for a couple days so who better to help. I know if I asked my husband to tape my body with duct tape he would look at me like I was crazy!!

 

                After a trip to the store to get a butt load of duct tape, my sister and I started taping. At first it was funny then when I realized I couldn’t move and I was literally at her will. Thankfully I hadn’t done anything to make her mad so she didn’t leave me stuck like that for hours, now if I would have asked her to do this to me when I was say 13 she would have left me like that for days and taped my mouth shut too! Ha ha, I am kidding only I’m not!

        Once cut from my duct tape body cast, we assembled the base out of cardboard and a large cardboard roll that I got from an order of fabric. It is a nice sturdy base that took us about a half an hour to cut out. I spray painted it a neutral color, and set it off to the side.

        Next I stuffed that bad boy as full as I could. I taped cardboard around the arm and neck holes and then once fully stuffed covered the bottom as well. I made a hole to be able to slide the pole down and secured it with a bead of hot glue. At this point you can be done, but I wanted to cover the dress form to look a little nicer. Thankfully I had a very stretchy long turtle neck shirt that I threw over it and it fit perfectly!

I didn’t get pictures of the during process, but here are a couple pictures show casing not only my fantastic aprons that I make, and are for sale on the website, but the fun new dress form as well!

Follow us on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I was really hesitant about doing this... I was so sure I wouldn't know what the heck I was doing and mess it up for you... But once I got it figured out it was pretty fun! I was happy to be able to help and am very glad that it turned out the way you wanted it to... despite the base starting out looking like a stripper pole!!

    ReplyDelete